30 December 2014

First Steps in Publishing - One Semester in Cambridge

I can't believe that my first semester as a publishing student is already over. It still feels like I only started a couple of weeks ago. But at the same time, the girl who arrived at Heathrow three month ago seems to be someone else. Someone who belonged to another life, a life that is no longer mine.

I clearly remember coming into my new room for the first time and meeting my new flatmates. I remember being incredibly nervous and excited before our first course meeting. I remember getting lost in that tiny university and around Cambridge during the first days.

By now, all this has become part of my everyday life. I know my way around the university and around Cambridge. I like my tiny room and my lovely flatmates and I met amazing people in my class. Most importantly, I love the course and I never enjoyed studying more.

During this first semester, I visited Cambridge University Press for the first time. I did an amazing and inspiring internship that taught me a lot about the publishing business. I visited two conferences, the annual SYP conference and the FutureBook conference. With CAMPUS, the Cambridge Publishing Society, we enjoyed a fascinating talk from Martin Woodhead and we visited the stunning old library of St John's College.

Within the course, we had some stellar guest speakers from the publishing business who talked about their jobs and provided us with valuable insights and inspiration. The lectures started to fill my huge knowledge gaps. With every day I feel a little bit more prepared to start my career. Every week I enjoyed going to class and for the first time I even enjoyed working on assignments.  

After my first semester, I can definitely say that I don't have any regrets about coming to Cambridge and the UK. The course is fascinating and inspiring, I met amazing people and, of course, the city is stunning. I am looking forward to the second semester and I refuse to believe that one third of my masters is already over.


No comments:

Post a Comment